Friday, November 23, 2007

हिमालयन Poppy


The summer of 2004 I traveled to Vancouver BC with my family. While in Butchart Gardens, I saw a rare Meconopsis Baileyii or Himalayan Blue Poppy. It grows in the Himalayan Range and is very difficult for the average gardner to grow. I bought a packet thinking myself up for the challenge, but the packet is still unopened and somewhere in my garage. Even if I found the packet, the seeds are probably no good. I've thought about buying another packet on-line and trying to cultivate them. But who am I kidding? Even in a climate that grows everything, I'm a terrible gardner. I live too much in my head. But, the blue poppy did grow into my book. So, in the metaphorical sense, I grew a Himalayan Poppy. That's probably as close as I'll ever get.

No comments: